Friday, September 10, 2010

Painting rainbows


This book is a similar format to “Puff, the Magic Dragon”. The CD is not just a bonus – it is an essential component of the book. The traditional song from “The Wizard of Oz” is sung by Judy Collins. She explains that she “went to see The Wizard of Oz when I was a little girl, with my pigtails tied on top of my head, with my Aunt Betty in Los Angeles. I felt so grown up, and so free, and the song has followed me, like a bluebird, all my life.” You can really hear the connection Judy has with the lyrics in her singing. There are also a couple of extra songs on the CD, including our favourite bedtime song, “I see the moon”.


The book is illustrated by Eric Puybaret with acrylic paint on linen. Eric writes in his note at the end of the book that he saw “tenderness, hopefulness, reverie, and a little melancholy … What an inspiring song!”


Well, we had to have a go at painting some of these whimsical birds, and of course, a rainbow or two. I think a rainbow has to be one of the most satisfying objects a child can draw or paint. It ticks all the boxes – colourful and instantly recognisable. And even though a rainbow might seem a little prescriptive to some budding artists, you can follow Eric’s lead and play with the possibilities of stars, clouds, dancing children, birds, music notes and smiling moons.


By the way, I am starting a new editing project, so will be posting here two or three times a week instead of every weekday. Thank you again to all those who are reading my blog and leaving comments. Have a lovely weekend!

1 comment:

  1. How gorgeous, what a beautiful book. Thank you, I am always on the lookout for lovely books to add to my girl's collection.

    ReplyDelete